The BARRIE KENNEL AND OBEDIENCE CLUB, INC. (BKOC) was
originally known as The Barrie Kennel Club. It was formed in 1946 with 17
members and held its first championship show at the Barrie Arena in June 1947.
There were approximately 200 entries with 3 American judges presiding - Mrs.
Frances Crane of Mass., and Mr. & Mrs. H. A. Sayers of Long Island,
Through 1966, the shows continued at the Barrie Arena until it became so successful it necessitated a move to the Barrie Fairgrounds where the show expanded to three days held annually on the August Civic Holiday weekend. The show continued to grow to become Canada's largest outdoor championship show with over 1,500 dogs entered per day when it moved to Formosa Park (later known as Molson Park) in 1974.
From 1985 to 2004, the show was held at the Orillia & District Agricultural Society (ODAS) Park in Orillia and for many years ran obedience trials in conjunction with its conformation shows. The show moved to the grounds of the Barrie Event Centre for a few years, but when that property was sold it forced the Club to find another location. The Club celebrated its 60th Anniversary in the year 2006 with many additional events to mark the special occasion.
Currently the three day show is back at ODAS Park where the Club has expanded to host CKC sanctioned agility trials along with the conformation championship shows. The show continues to be held on the August Civic Holiday weekend. The BKOC workin to regain its accreditation in 2009, the BKOC is excited to once again offer obedience and now also rally obedience trials
The Club supports charitable organizations such as Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind, Hearing Ear Dogs of Canada and Canine Research programs. In the past, the Club has sponsored several children through the Canadian Save the Children Fund and in 1972 donated eight wheelchairs to the Royal Victoria Hospital.